Call Us Now 979.200.6556
Our small firm does what the big firms won’t. We give your case the personal attention it deserves.

Angleton Family Law Appellate Attorney

Call (979) 200-6556 for Compassionate & Experienced Legal Representation

If you disagree with the court decision after your trial and you believe the court made a mistake, you may have the option of filing an “appeal.” An appeal is a request for a higher court to either reverse or change a judgment made by a lower court.

At Jeff Gilbert Law Office, we are dedicated to helping our clients obtain the most favorable outcome in their family law cases. With a former prosecutor, judge, and proven trial lawyer in our legal team, we can review your case and determine all available legal options to see if we can help you file an appeal and get the best possible results.

Not only do we handle family court appeals, but also appellate cases in the following courts:

Contact us today to schedule a confidential consultation.

Appeals Process

The purpose of the appellate court is to review the trial record and determine if the judge made his/her decision in a reasonable manner, rather than rehearing the entire case or submitting new evidence for the higher court to assess. If the court finds that the judge failed to act in a reasonable manner, the decision made in the lower court will either be changed or reversed.

Either party can file an appeal. The appeals process begins by filing a Notice of Appeal within a 30- to 60-day deadline from the date when the original order is received. The notice must include the basic information about the case and a copy for your spouse.

Once the notice is filed, the court often asks you to obtain and file transcripts to any family court hearings, as well as a written brief that explains the reason for your appeal, which is followed by an oral argument. From filing an appeal to the ruling, the process may take up to a year to complete.

Grounds for Appeal

If you wish to appeal a decision or order, you cannot do so because the results were not in your favor. You must have grounds—or legal reasons—to file an appeal.

Whether you have grounds to appeal is based on the type of mistake you think the judge made in your case. These mistakes must be related to errors in fact or in law.

An error in fact exists if a judge makes a decision that no other reasonable individual could have made based on the evidence. For instance, a judge awards sole custody of a child to a parent who has been convicted of domestic violence and demonstrated a lack of parental fitness to provide adequate care for the child.

On the other hand, a mistake in law exists if the state law requires a parent convicted of domestic violence to meet certain conditions before being eligible for custody, but a judge grants that parent custody despite the fact that he/she hasn’t met all requirements.

Call (979) 200-6556 to discuss your case with our legal team today.

Why Hire Jeff Gilbert Law Office?

  • Accessibility

    We provide you with 24 hours access to your attorney.

  • Attention To Detail

    We give your case the personal attention it deserves.

  • Multi-faceted Experience

    Trial attorneys committed to protecting what matters most.

  • Commitment

    We are committed to protecting what matters most to you.